Man Ray

Cubism

Surrealism


    
Man Ray’s Earliest works were paintings, where he experimented with cubism. He had been learning about art since high school. Her learned form his teachers and by going to art museums to teach himself. Over the years Man Ray learned of Surrealism and Dadaism. He then started to use these in his paintings. I found his paintings to be very colorful and bright. However, I found that they were missing that “WOW” moment and they didn’t really draw me in. I’m not saying he wasn’t a good painter, because I will never be able to paint that good, but they are missing something in them. 

 

    Man Ray then used the concept of Surrealism and Dadaism in his photography and photograms. I like his photography and photograms better then his painting because there is more aesthetically pleasing. There is also more expression in his photography. I found that there was a tone of sadness in his photography. When I look at them I am filled with this deep sorrow and I feel like I’m going to cry. It’s strange because the subjects don’t even look that sad. These two photos by Man Ray are just a couple of examples. I also found that his photos have an elegance to them that also carries over into his photograms. Now the two photograms that I have chosen to show below are just a couple of examples of his abstract work, he also did photograms of people. I chose these two photograms because they drew my attention. The outcome of these photograms looks purposeful yet spontaneous, like a “happy little accident”. There is beauty in his works and a meaning behind every piece. The best thing about are is the adventure that every viewer takes into the artists mind to find the meaning behind the piece and the message it’s sending us. I also love the emotion that is expressed with every detail of his work. Man Ray was an amazing photographer and his work was revolutionary.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Heiferman and My Inspiration

John Chervinsky

Ernst Haas