Color

 

When it comes to photography color can be a very important element. Color can be used for a number of things. One reason being to set the subject apart from the rest of the image and another reason is to depict emotion. For instance in the image above the red of the flame sets it apart from the rest of the image, and your eyes are pulled to the flame. If there was color and detail in everything around the image it would be very distracting and you may not see the flames as the main subject. You would view the image as a whole and your interpretation of the meaning could be skewed. However, since only the flames are in color you would interpret the meaning sole based in the flames. The colors of an image can often be depicted as emotion and help lead you to the meaning behind the piece. For instance blues represent sadness, reds represent anger or passion, and yellows would represent happiness. In the above image the red of the flames can also be used to depict rage or passion. With fire most might see the red as rage because flames are very destructive. However, I feel the color and the flames are calming. When I took this picture my family was having a camp fire. Just being outside at night, the world was so still and quiet. The only thing we heard was the crackling of the fire. The night air was cold, and I felt like I was being hugged by the warmth of the fire. At that moment all I could feel was peaceful, and I wanted to capture that. I took a picture of the fire so that even after it was gone I could look back at the image and feel peaceful again. For me in this image the color red holds more of a calming presence than an aggressive one. Color can be a very powerful element in an image, but sometimes the color has a deeper meaning then what it appears on the surface. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Heiferman and My Inspiration

John Chervinsky

Ernst Haas