Jonas Bendiksen

 


For a Magnum Artist I chose Jonas Bendiksen. The image of his that I chose is of Skogsøya Norway in 2012. I love how much detail and how many shades of gray he was able to get in this image. I love how the person in the image is only a silhouette. The fact that the individual is silhouetted keeps them from distracting from the rest of the image while also adding perspective to how far off the mountains are. I also like how he captured the light breaking through the clouds. The light hits the mountains in the background which leads your eyes to focus on them. The lighting leads me to believe that the main focus of this image is meant to be the mountains in the background. If the person was intended to be the main focus they would have been the one in the light not the mountains. I also love that even though the water is in the background you can still see detailed ripples. Most of his other picture on the Magnum website are in color and have people positioned in the image as the subject. I feel like this picture is depicting a sense of solitude or isolation in Skogsøya. I also like this image because I have a soft spot for black and white landscapes. I just find them to be so beautiful. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Heiferman and My Inspiration

John Chervinsky

Ernst Haas