The George Eastman Museum

 


I really enjoyed our trip to the George Eastman Museum. There were so many amazing photos there. Above are three of my favorite images. The first two images are both from the same artist. I really liked these images. I like the contrast between the dark background and the light subject. I also like how the whites are not a pure white, they are a little muddy. That helps the subject blend better with the background. I feel that if they where a pure bright white it may have felt to exaggerated. I also like how in the first image there is a singe blue flower. I feel that that small splash of color really adds to the image, and I like how subtle it is. At first I didn’t even see the flower, but after looking at the image for a little I noticed it. I also really like the detail that the artist was able to capture in these images. You can see the small details in the delicate lily pads, the small ripples in the water, and you can see detail in the feathers of the bird. Sadly the images I took are not as sharp as the actual images. I really liked the third image because of the powerful meaning behind it. You can’t really see much in the image unless you look closely. This image was taken by covering the camera leans with lace curtains. The reason for this was as the artist said to show the “tension that exists between surface and hidden meaning, between beauty and horror”. The story behind this piece is that this location is where Nazi’s killed jews in mass executions, and to hide it they planted thousands of trees. Among those murdered were some of the artists family. Knowing this I think the lace suits this image very well. The lace, like the trees in these woods, is outwardly seen as very beautiful, however, they are both being used to blanket our view and distract us from what happened there. It was hard for me to just pick three images at this museum because they were all so lovely but I found the above three images to just be outstanding. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Heiferman and My Inspiration

John Chervinsky

Ernst Haas