Marvin Heiferman and My Inspiration

    “WE ARE ALL PHOTOGRAPHERS NOW!. This was said because the development of the cell phone allows everyone to take pictures. I disagree with this statement. I disagree because it takes more than simply pushing a button to become a photographer. Like most art forms one must have a talent for expressing themselves. However, they also must have a drive to grow and learn how to improve. Developing and editing an image also takes time, effort, and skill. A photographer must capture a story in every image. A story that the viewer must figure out for themselves. It must have a deeper meaning than just a picture of a cute dog. So just because you can take a picture you are not a photographer. A photographer is a title earned just like a painter or a sculptor. You must be an artist. I have been taking photos for over three years, I have learned a lot and grown so much but I still do not call myself a photographer yet. For me inspiration is very important. You must be inspired or moved to take a picture and the picture must move the viewer too. 

    My inspiration comes from the world around me. The beautiful setting of a crimson sun behind large rippling mountains. The way clouds dance around the sky on a windy day. The way that water moves so fiercely yet peacefully. The was a single flower blooms in a vast field. The way a person lay taking in the sun like a flower. The intense emotions of a person’s inner mind. To me, anything can be inspiration, and everything is my inspiration. One does not always need to find deeper meaning in an image, it just needs to mean something to them. It must strike you and fill you with an urge to capture it. If you capture it correctly it can be a conversation between the artist and the viewer. I believe inspiration can also come from viewing another artist’s work. What good is an image if it does not inspire others to try and capture the same feeling. Its an adventure in itself trying to recreate the feeling a picture holds. And an image can be like a smowflake similar but so different.  

    Photography is an art of expressing one’s self. While not everyone is a photographer everyone has the potential to become a photographer with a little bit of talent and hard work. Just like everyone has the potential to learn to be a painter or a sculpture.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Chervinsky

Ernst Haas